Stand Up & Be Strong! is co-sponsored by MNPTA and the Minnesota Department of Human Services
Stand Up & Be Strong! consists of an easy-to-replicate model for assessing the risk of falls in older adults. After participating in a 30-second screening test, elderly participants learn their risk of falling and leave with a few simple exercises that can easily be performed in their home or long-term care facility. These exercises help reduce their risk of falls by improving lower extremity strength. Most notably, Stand Up & Be Strong! uses a "train the trainer" model, which allows physical therapists to train other health care professionals and community members to assess falls risk in their own communities and facilities, rather than relying on health care providers to provide assessments.
Why Falls Prevention?
- Falls are a leading cause of disability, loss of independence, hospitalization, and nursing home placement
- Mobility issues and falls are not identified or managed well in health care or the community
- Minnesota has one of the highest rates of falls among seniors in the country--twice the national average
Benefits to MNPTA Members
- Promotes the value of physical therapy to communities, consumers, health care providers, and legislators
- Establish physical therapists as a key resource for falls prevention
- Increase visibility of the profession among consumers, payers, providers, and Department of Human Services
- Support Minnesota physical therapists by providing common protocols and materials
- Leverage lessons learned from the project to provide assistance and support to Minnesota physical therapists
- Encourage local connections between physical therapists, health professionals, community partners, payers, and consumers
- Serve members and increase member satisfaction
Stand Up & Be Strong! Materials
Brochures are best printed on legal-sized paper.
Trainer Manuals & Instructions for PTs
2008 Combined Sections Meeting Presentation